Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

I know, I know, today is supposed to be "Wedding Wednesday" but since my best-friend-bride is on vaca and I have taken the day off to start what I thought would be a one-day project but now has turned into a huge mess...I have decided to post on my biggest Makeover Challenge to date.  Don't worry, we'll be back next Wednesday with another "Wedding Wednesday" post.




Okay, so many moons ago, in one of my very first posts, I mentioned how I was making over my mother's China Cabinet.  I know it's hard to believe, but I am just NOW starting this project.  I had no idea until now how big of a project this was going to be.    This cabinet has been in my family since I was born, and the items in it (such as my great-grandmother's China) have been passed down for generations; so this project is very special to me.  I really want this piece to showcase things that are dear to me and my boyf; things that have been handed down to us from our grandparents and great-grandparents.  I have redone many furniture items throughout the years, but this beast of a china cabinet was definitely NOT meant to be taken apart.  There are so many intricate details; glass that isn't removable; drawers that aren't removable; lighting in the top part that is impossible to remove...I just don't know how I am going to do this!!  Last night I started having second thoughts and almost scrapped the project completely, but since my mom has agreed to help me this weekend, it has given me new hope.


Here is the China Cabinet BEFORE:


Beautiful to begin with...not sure why I decided to paint it in the first place!!


Now here's the mess I have made of it:




My great-grandmother's China 
The boyf's beautiful Grandmother

The mess I have created - TONS of China and family heirlooms

Lower half of China Cabinet

Upper half of Cabinet -even Gizmo wants to know what's going on!


So my idea is to paint the entire outside a glossy white and the back inner part of the cabinet a jade green...so HERE GOES!  I will keep you guys posted throughout this makeover journey!


xoxo-
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how it turns out! I am actually contemplating re-doing my grandmother's cabinet, but can't decide what colors to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see what it looks like! Im in the middle of refinishing all my bedroom furniture. Started with the bedside table and it turned out great. Now I just need to finish the rest. Ill send you some pics :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete