Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Girl with Taste's Guilt-Free Gaucamole



I love my cute napkins (gift from Katina)

I've never actually been a huge gauc lover, but when I received two gorgeous avocados from a co-worker last week, I decided it was time to make my first batch of guacamole.  I did not, however; want to make a super fattening dish that I would no doubt consume the entire thing and then feel guilty for making it in the first place. So I googled 'low fat gaucamole' and found this recipe which I'm sure is great but I added a couple of ingredients  to give it a little 'umph' (not to mention I despise both tomato and cilantro).  I thought adding frozen peas would ruin the flavor but it actually turned out really good!  So here's my oh so delicious low-fat gauc recipe for you to try:

  • 2 Ripe Avocados
  • 10 ounce bag frozen peas (thawed)
  • 1/2 to 1 whole red onion (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
  • Dash of your favorite hot sauce
  • Seasonings to taste (I used garlic salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • Squeeze of 1/2 lime


So I of course took the lazy way out and put everything in my food processor and just pulsed it until I got the consistency I wanted.  Don't fret if you don't have a food processor, you can just mash all the ingredients with a fork or even use a blender.  

The peas added almost a hint of sweetness to the mixture while my salsa, red pepper flakes and hot sauce added some heat.  The end result was so delicious and something I didn't have to feel guilty about eating.  

Serve with baked tortilla chips and enjoy (without the guilt of course)!

If you have any healthy (healthier) recipes - please send them my way! 

xoxo-
Amanda




No comments:

Post a Comment